The Anglican Diocese of Central Newfoundland provides support to Anglican children in our local communities when a specific need for financial assistance has been identified.
The Anglican Charitable Foundation for Children (ACFC) is a Trust established in 1971 when the Anglican Orphanage was sold. Proceeds from the sale were invested in a Trust to be used to assist Anglican children in need. There is a Board of Trustees for each of the three diocese in Newfoundland and Labrador. (see History and Organizational Structure below).
To be effective, it is important that our clergy and laity are aware of the needs in the parish and that they bring these needs to the attention of the Board.
If you require financial assistance please contact your Parish Priest who will work with you under the guidelines as set forth by the charity.
Chairperson’s AGM Report
History and Organizational Structure
The Anglican Charitable Foundation for Children (ACFC) is successor to the Church of England Orphanage that had its beginning in 1855 during the episcopacy of the late Bishop Edward Feild.
ln 1854, Cholera swept through St John’s leaving many orphans. Bishop Edward Feild provided a house at the rear of the Cathedral Rectory and on Ash Wednesday 1855 seven boys and one girl from ages 4-8 were welcomed. Subsequent donations of additional properties in Long Pond (Job family summer home 'Exon' and then the Steers Farm by Sir Edgar Bowring) enabled expansion of the orphanage for boys and girls. For over one hundred years, the Church operated both orphanages in St. John's to provide a home for Anglican children who came from all areas of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Laying of the Cornerstone
of the “Church of England” Girl’s Orphanage
The orphanages were supported by donations of money or goods from individuals, congregations and parishes as well as from private business enterprises. They were also sustained by extensive farm lands that were cultivated to provide a continuous supply of vegetables and dairy products. Many of the boys and young men worked on these farms during their stay at the orphanage.
The orphanages were closed in mid 1960s and by 1971, the properties were sold. Proceeds from the sales were invested for future use. At that time and during the episcopacy of the late Archbishop Seaborn, the Anglican Charitable Foundation for Children was incorporated and given the mandate to administer these investments in accordance with the fundamental principles that guided the establishment of the original orphanages.
In accordance with its Articles of Association, the Anglican Charitable Foundation for Children has three levels of administration:
The Charity – This is the main body of the Foundation. Its membership is as follows: Each of the three dioceses appoints six members for a total of eighteen. The bishops or their delegates from each of the dioceses are also ex-officio members of the Charity.
The Board of Managers – This is the body that implements policy and oversees the work of the Charity. The Board consists of ten members who are elected by the Charity at its annual meeting. It holds two regular meetings per year as well as special meetings that may be required to address some important issues.
The Trustee Committees – Trustee Committees are appointed to represent the Dioceses. The chairperson and members of each committee are appointed by the Bishop of their respective Dioceses. Trustee Committees interface directly with clergy and ensure that our charitable projects are being fulfilled.
The Work of the ACFC
Each Board of Trustees meets regularly to receive applications of assistance that comes from parishes. Following the Guidelines of the Charity assistance is provided where applicable. Bursaries are also provided to those continuing post secondary education. Each year the Board of Managers provides a Grant to each Diocesan Church Camp facility, and assistance to special projects which fall within the Guidelines noted on this web page.